You're probably asking yourself, How the hell do I cook an artichoke?
- Buy one that's closed tight - they're fresher than the ones that are starting to open up.
- Cut off the big stem on the bottom. Rinse well.
- Lay your palm on the top of the artichoke where all of the leaves meet and push down hard a few times to open it up.
- Slice three cloves of garlic and stick the them in the grooves of the leaves.
- Take out a pot and fill it with about 1.5 inches of water.
- Place the artichoke in the middle of the pot.
- Add salt and a very generous amount of cracked black pepper (and some red pepper flakes if you like them).
- Try to get the seasoning in the grooves too, not just on the outside.
- Drizzle with amble olive oil, I'd say at least a 1/4 cup.
- Steam the thing for about 1.5-2 hours.
- Occasionally add more olive oil or scoop some of the juices on the bottom onto the artichoke so it doesn't dry out.
- You know it's done when you can smoothly pull a leaf out of the middle and scrape the meat off with the your bottom row of teeth.
Oh, and the website that sells these prints is called Fine Artichoke. So clever!