Recipe from the wonderful Cooking With Shelburne Farms
Before You Start
If you like the tart crunch of raw cranberries, they really add an unexpected twist to this slaw, but if they're too tart for you, dried sweetened cranberries work very well.
• 1 small shallot, minced
• 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
• 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt plus more to taste
• 1 medium head red cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds), cored and thinly sliced
• 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped, or 1/2 cup whole dried sweetened cranberries
• 1 large ripe but firm pear, such as Anjou, unpeeled and cut into matchsticks
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the shallot, maple syrup, cider vinegar, yogurt, and salt.
2. Toss the cabbage, cranberries, and pear into the bowl with the dressing. Adjust seasoning to taste and let sit for at least 30 minutes and up to several hours to allow flavors to blend before serving.
(I recommend letting it marinate overnight... even better.)
Besides fresh and beautiful cuisine, Shelburne Farms also has an INN.
Take me there, please! Oh and there's also a GLASS HOUSE. No biggie, you know...
all images (and text in above picture) Shelburne Farms